Monday, August 24, 2009

Week Four

I can't believe that I have faithfully stayed on this program for three whole weeks.
This week begins to get a little more intense. Longer walks. But that is ok. I think I can do 5 miles by Saturday. I hope I can. That is a round trip to loving daughter's house.



School starts back tomorrow. I really am excited. I always am. I have 79 kids and 63 of them and their parents showed up for open house last week. That is amazing. Maybe parents are finally getting the idea that they need to be involved. I really hope so. That sure does make my job easier. I have a new classroom and a new teammate. So far , we have worked together smoothly and have accomplished a lot. I think things will be great.



On Saturday, I worked until around noon then came home, changed clothes and waked to a 1:00 meeting at church. 2 miles. After the meeting I walked home. We have made some major committee changes at church and that was on my mind. Have you ever noticed that church people can be the hardest people to get along with? Aren't we all there for the common goal? Why do people get mad if things don't go there way and walk off committees or even leave the church? Oh well. That's between them and God. Sure I get my feelings hurt and people say things that bother me, but I'm not going to let them dictate my relationship with God. Those people are mere humans. And humans are not perfect.



Sunday was a "Off" day and I complied with those directions. After church, lunch and nap time, I made a carrot-less cake. Ever had one? Well, that is a carrot cake you forget to put the carrots in. After said carrot-less cake had been in the oven for about 20 minutes, I noticed my freshly grated carrots sitting in their bowl on the counter. So after church Sunday night, I made a carrot cake, (With carrots this time), to take to my dear friends in the office at school. They have been so helpful with getting us ready for the arrival of the darlings tomorrow. We could never make it without them. If I ever need cheering up, all I have to do is walk into the front office. They will even let me vent when necessary.



I had not planned to work all day today. I was going to take the final 3 hours of my furlow that YOUR governor issued. You know, the money she took from me a few months ago in exchange for 10 hours off. But, that did not work out. I had soooo much to get done today. Make copies, do seat assignments, work on lesson plans, meet with my wonderful team, and put tons of paper work and timetrackers on the desks. Now, tomorrow some student is going to find a fingernail in a timetracker. That's right. I knocked one off again and I know it is in a timetracker. Since the first day of school always sets the tone for the remainder of the year, finding that fingernail is going to be great.



Today's instructions say that mess about walking for three miles up parking lot ramps. That ain't gonna happen! Anyway, after school, I did a little shopping then my sister came over and we walked my 3 mile route. It was fun. She runs some so I had to hustle to keep up with her. (Another reason I like walking alone.) But it was nice to have her join me today.



Like I said, I'm excited about tomorrow. New room, new team, new faces. They'll be nervous and excited and anxious. Some will have new boyfriends/girlfriends, new clothes and shoes. Some will have new issues, things most of us can't imagine having lived through at their age. I have seen a lot in my years of teaching. I hope that this year I can be what each child needs me to be. That is my goal....

No comments:

Post a Comment