Monday, August 3, 2009

Day one of experience

I have decided, through much anguish, to begin to condition myself to run in the Jingle Bell Run in December of this year. Be aware that this is not the first year I have made such a decision. Two years ago a coworker tried to inspire our staff to participate. We had a book study and I faithfully attend three sessions of the 12. Needless to say, I did not participate. Last year my mother, age 70, and I decided we would both run. We "conditioned" once. That is, we walk two miles one day. I have no doubt however, that she could have completed the run. She is as fit as a fiddle. So this year I am determined to not only participate in the Jingle Bell Run but to finish it for various reasons.

Reason No. 1 - I am fat. It's true. I am a fatty and need to lose weight.
Reason No. 2 - I have a bone spur on my left foot that is killing me. I went to the doctor and she gave me a brace (well, she didn't give it to me, I did pay for it) that I can't stand to wear, I don't take the anti-inflammatory medication, and the exercises are stupid. My son-in-law says walking will fix it. We'll see.
Reason No. 3 - I have made a major change in my diet and believe the exercise will do me good.

These are three very good reasons, I think. So, after some, not much, but some research, I have decided to follow a plan I found in a magazine. This plan seems to suit me better than some of those plans on line. For example, one such plan suggested by a loved one, has one runing for 60 seconds, briskly walking for 90 seconds, running up a hilll for 180 seconds, and so on. Get the picture? I can't do that. What are you supposed to do, take note cards with you and a stop watch? It would take me 3 hours to complete the 30 minute routine.

My chosen program is designed to have one ready for a 10K in 12 weeks so I figure I can possibly be ready for a 5K in 18 weeks with this plan. (I have to be real here.) On Monday of week one, today, I was instructed to walk for 3 miles at an easy pace. Key word here is EASY. The article defines easy as "everyday stroll". Those of you who know me know that to me an easy stroll is from house to car, car to grocery store, etc. Anyway, my loving and supportive, nagging, daughter offered to meet me at the track for this walk. She then decided we needed to not only take Little Miss Priss with us, but her loving family dog, Turk, should be walked also. Now, remember the temperature is 89 degrees and I haven't walk three miles in, well, forever. So she, loving daughter, decides I should push stroller and she will walk Turk. After about 50 feet, Turk decides to poop every 10 feet. This excites Miss Priss who then tries to turn upside down in her stroller. Oh, and did I mention we were on Main Street USA for this walk instead of track? Turk then settles down a little but then starts gagging and does eventually throw up on the same sidewalk he just pooped on. Miss Priss sees several bright signs on the side of the road and excitedly points and yells, "sign, Gamma, sign". "yes, darling", I reply, "it is a sign from God that we should go home." But we didn't. We kept going at the insistence of loving daughter.

Loving daughter did think ahead and bring water in a sippy cup for Miss Priss and one bottle of water for the two of us to share. Turk? Oh yeah, when turk started gagging and throwing up, she decided he needed to share our water. Now, I don't know about you but I don't drink after any human being. Just ask my kids. They think I'm neurotic but I just can't do it. So do you think I'm going to drink after puky? Not in this lifetime. Remember, 89 degrees, never walked 3 miles before, and now NO WATER, because I had poured all of Addie's water on her head to make her laugh. (That is what we grandmothers do.) And, remember the bone spur, well it was hurting like a knife had been stuck through the back of my heel. Thanks son-in-law.

Well, fortunately, all four of us did survive without anyone passing out. I have decided that next time, I will go it alone. Sorry loving daughter....

Until tomorrow. I can't wait!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment