Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Week 6, Tuesday

I had 9 girls walk with me after school today. It was great!!! We only walked about a mile but they wanted to do it again tomorrow. I'm only giving them one afternoon a week for now. Maybe more later.

This morning I left school during my planning period to go to the Food Lion to get water and granola bars for us after the walk. I was starving and one of my teacher buddies wanted hot cakes and sausage from McDs, so I went by there after my stop at the FL. Why is it that people in this town don't understand that everyone does not eat animal flesh? I ordered her hot cakes and ordered myself an egg and cheese muffin. I know I shouldn't have, but I just couldn't resist. Anyway, when I got to the window to pay, I told her again to make sure that it was only egg and cheese. She said "oh, let me change that". OK. So, when I get to the pick up window, I have the good sense to check the muffin and sure enough, there is meat on it. So I knock on the window, LOUDLY, and tell the guy that it was not suppose to have the meat on it. He acts like I'm crazy. What's the big deal? Anyway, it was great...

After school the girls and I walked. One of the girls is extremely overweight but she hung right with us. We only almost got run down by 4 teachers hauling it out of there the back way and a couple high school kids, but other than that, it was great. We are going to try to make some kind of service project out of this too. Around Halloween, the girls want to make cookies or something and take them to the assisted living across the street. That should be nice. We can probably use the home-ec kitchen. I'll have to ask.

It is very interesting to be around 13 year old girls away from the classroom setting. You get to know them a little better. I makes me miss my own girls at that age. Talking about boys they think are hot and things they like to do. One thing I did sadly notice was that they all talked about step-parents, and half-siblings. It's kinda sad but I guess that's pretty much the norm in most families. One girl said her mom was getting married in March and one said her dad and her sister got married on the same day. How weird is that!! One girl called her step-mom to come get her and before she hung up she said "I love you". Then to me she said, "I really don't like her much". I asked her why, but she really didn't have a reason. I suggested that she probably felt they way simply because she was married to her dad and she did agree. Anyway, some interesting conversation.

After I got home, I walked my two mile route, came home and made a pot of chili. It simmers as we speak, or as I type. I am going to make myself start walking 3 miles each day. By October 1st, my goal is to start seriously running. That will give me 2 months to get ready for the run. I still don't see how that is going to be possible. But I'm going to aim for that anyway. I can always walk the run but that is the wimpy way. And I ain't no wimp!!!!!! (I don't think.)

No comments:

Post a Comment