Sunday, January 2, 2011

No resolutions here.....

I do not make New Year's resolutions. I think when you do you are just setting yourself up for failure. If you don't lose that 25 pounds or quit that bad habit or whatever, you just shrug it off and give up. Setting goals is much better for me. And I have set several goals, most of which are personal but some I will share. I tried to choose goals for all areas of my life. Physical, mental, educational, and, of course, spiritual.

My physical goals - Walk at least 3 days a week and run the length of Maner Road. I didn't set a specific date to reach the "Maner Road Run" but I will get there. I set the walk 3 days a week goal a week before the new year and have exceeded it. I have even managed to run more than I ever have. Today I ran from the top of Maner Road to the entrance to Hall Crossing. Then I walked to the first mailbox and ran to the next and repeated this alllllllllll the way home. Yippee for me. Never done that before. I was so dang proud of myself. I called Liz (my role model) and shared. Another physical goal is my diet. I will not give up bread but will make better bread choices in type and quantity. Bread is my weakness. I wish I hated it. Too bad. I love it!!!!
I also need to keep a check on my protein intake. Not eating meat causes me to lack some in the protein area and I need to be careful about this because my body knows when I need it. I also need to slack up on the diet coke addiction I have.

My mental goal - Don't worry so much. Easy to say. The only way I can reach this goal is by putting things where they need to be. God's hands. Hopefully with my new spiritual goals, this will be achieved. I also want to spend more time just thinking. I want to learn to respond appropriately to challenging situations and I believe that thinking and evaluation my thoughts will help with this. I also want to have a better attitude toward my job. Yes, I sometimes have a bad attitude. The kids aren't bad and the people I work with are great, but still, I sometimes have a bad attitude. I am so lucky to have a job. I have great benefits, get off early, have lots of time off, so I need to have a more positive attitude. I'll never get rich teaching but I don't expect to be rich. I have everything I need and almost everything I want. Actually, I can't think of anything I want that I don't have. So there....I'm good.

My educational goals - Well, I do have some credits toward my master's but I really don't see me finishing that. Not in the mood. Too lazy or something. But I do need to read more. Oh, I read all the time for school but I want to read things I have never read and really don't need to read. The classics. I want to read "Gulliver's Travels" and "David Copperfield". May add more to the list as time goes on.

My spiritual goals - These goals are most important to me. I want to read the Bible all the way through. I started with a new program January 1st, last night. I have started many times before. I am almost 50 and really need to do this before I die. My dad reads it through about 3 times a year so surely I can do it once this year. I also want to spend more time praying for others. I am a big prayer person but I need to improve in my prayer life. I also want to serve others more. God has been so good to show me many areas in which to serve and I need to continue to be open to these opportunities. I also want to be more active in my Sunday school class. I have already started planning a Valentine's party for our group.

So there.....that's my goals or some of them. Not impossible goals but realistic attainable goals. And goals that I feel mean something for my growth in all areas of my life....

No comments:

Post a Comment